A backlink is a link which directs others towards your site. So, the number of backlinks that your site has is an indication of how popular or important it is according to your peers. These are especially important for SEO and traffic generation strategies, as search engines such as Google will give more credit to those sites with a good number of quality backlinks.
So they will then consider these sites more relevant than others in the results pages of a search query. Most search engines will want websites to have a level playing field, and so will more often than not look for natural links that have been built slowly over time. Although it can be fairly easy to manipulate the links on a web page in order to achieve a higher ranking, it is a lot harder to influence a search engine with external backlinks from another site.
Ways to get backlinks:
- Reciprocal Linking – this is where you link to another site that provides the same service or product as you and they in turn have a link to your site on theirs.
- Site Submissions – Submit links for your site to directories which allow free submissions, or if you can afford it, some paid directories. There are many sites around which offer a service where you can submit your site details to numerous sites. Plus, if you want, you can always create your own directory of similar websites.
- Articles – This is another way of getting great backlinks. So if you have a reputable looking site that contains informative, well written reviews, then there is a good chance that your articles will receive high search engine rankings also. But it is vital that any articles you write are on the subject, informative and thorough in relation to your site. Also you could always write a few articles for submission to article sites such as EzineArticles.com or SearchWarp.com. This is another great way of getting even more backlinks to your site.**
- Blogging – This has now become an integral part of the internet, and is one of the most effective ways of linking. You either have the choice of placing a few words of comments on to someone else’s blog, or you may want to link to them from your own blog. In fact, you will find that most blogs will be happy to link back to you. However, it is important that you try to update your blog regularly and post interesting content to ensure that people will want to link back to you.
- HubPages – is a great website where you can start your own niche hub (webpage) and tell everything connected to the selected field of knowledge. It’s an easy way to receive a free backlink and traffic.
**Tips you will need to consider in order to write good articles for your site:
- Write in a way that your intended target audience will understand what you are trying to say. In other words, don’t write it like you were a teacher talking to a class of 10 year olds, but don’t be overly complicated.
- Watch your spelling, grammar and punctuation. If in doubt, then use your spell checker.
- Do not make your article too long. Usually a good article will consist of between 350 to 500 words.
- Always include a resource box at the end, as this will include that all important backlink to your site. This resource box should also include a short biography regarding you and your site.